Vote in Home News Tribune's "Best of Central NJ" poll

Anything you find on the Web that you'd like everyone to know about.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Vote in Home News Tribune's "Best of Central NJ" poll

Post by John Leary »

Check it out here:
www.mycentraljersey.com/bestofmcj

I feel I should mention that there's a "Health Food Store" category, and I just voted for George Street Co-op in that category. Everyone should vote their consciences, but I certainly hope you'll consider voting for the Co-op...

Thanks,
John
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

The results are in, and we won the title! Big thanks to everyone who voted for us!
realman

YAY!

Post by realman »

YAY! YAY! YAY! :P

How do we take advantage of this?

Winning restaurants and shops on Main Street here in Somerville have *huge* banners inside their big front display windows proclaiming Thank You for Voting us The Best (in the Courier News' version of a similar poll to the Home News' poll we won).

I don't think we want to block the sunlight coming in our front window. But I don't want to abandon the idea of SOME kind of banner.

Ideas (perhaps for the Outreach Cmte to follow up on?):

A sign that's sponsored by one of our product lines? (This idea is inspired by a similarly big sign at my honey's High School Graduation 40th Anniversary Reunion this past weekend, offered by the (moderately small) bar/restaurant/banquet hall as a free extra for booking the party, sponsored by one of the big beer companies. (I think it came with a minimum of 50 or 75 people (100 people attended), and they made it just for that one-time use). Might not Hain Celestial have a program that would help us with paying for a sign (after all these years of patronage)?

Where to put it? Perhaps it could be a sign that fits in the large-ish window at the top of the stairway? That window gets way more exposure to street traffic than our front street-level window anyway. And the view I've noticed over the last couple months from outside (across Livingston Ave) at night into the top of that stairway isn't doing the store any good.

Bill

PS: I know there's lots of controversy with the store and peoples' lives right now (Mine, too), but this WIN is a relatively big deal. Will people please take notice/ spread the word/ use this messageboard more? (A reminder to myself, too)
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Bill, you raise some great ideas. I'll talk with Janet about what types of space she's wiling to sacrifice at the store, and what vendors might co-sponsor. Based on that, Outreach will figure out what we can do.

Feel free to come to the next Outreach meeting on the 18th.
Danielle Geist

Post by Danielle Geist »

If anything, hanging a banner on the store's wall facing toward livingston could be effective since it gets a good amount of traffic.
realman

We're facing the same direction...

Post by realman »

both the wall and the window face Livingston.

My consideration about the wall is that I'm fairly certain it's much harder to hang a banner outdoors (in the wind, keeping it from twisting or sagging) than indoors.

Bill