SLIDESHOW: Living plants out-last, out-perform roof shingles

Anything you find on the Web that you'd like everyone to know about.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

SLIDESHOW: Living plants out-last, out-perform roof shingles

Post by John Leary »

Anyone want to try turning a roof into a garden?
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20090430/gw1/ss1
Rich Menashe

perenial voltaire

Post by Rich Menashe »

"If we want to tend our own gardens master Pangloss must'nt we have plants to cultivate?"
Well maybe that's not how it ended but we are about to embark on the Food Coop garden in the back of the building by the Elks lot, at the end of the month (I think the weekend of May 30th)
Morris has offered soil and some plants but I am sure that more would be better.
Does anyone have any perenial plants that they think would be good for the area?
Irises, tiger lilies, day lilies, vinca, tulips, hyacinth, daffodils, columbine, hosta, yucca, bachelor buttons, one of my personal favorites is bleeding hearts.
Maybe something more exotic or fun.
Is echinacea perrenial?
Any ideas for a plan would be appreciated.
We could expand to the roof if after evaluating it for leaks we determine it would be a good idea-
Last year Mike said he grew some tomatoes up there.
Anyone want to be responsible for frequent watering in the initial phase?
Rich
DianaM

watering

Post by DianaM »

I'd be happy to water whatever days I am there. If one shift each day chooses to come 10 minutes early, the plants would be happy! :D

Also, early morning and late afternoon are the two best times to water. Maybe the person opening or closing each day should be in charge of it?

However, after the plants become established we need to make sure we switch off the watering to a less frequent schedule, so that if a day is missed here or there the plants will have deep enough roots to deal. http://urbanext.illinois.edu/hortihints/0108a.html

- D
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Re: perenial voltaire

Post by John Leary »

nutridoc wrote:"If we want to tend our own gardens master Pangloss must'nt we have plants to cultivate?"

OK, if I weren't busy enough, now you've made me want to go read Candide. No fair!