Peanut butter/Salmonella recall list

Anything you find on the Web that you'd like everyone to know about.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Peanut butter/Salmonella recall list

Post by John Leary »

The Daily Green is now maintaining a complete list of products affected by the nationwide peanut butter recall. This includes not just prepackaged peanut butters, but many products that contain even small amounts of peanut butter. See the complete list here.

Please note that among many others, Wegmans, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods have in-house brands tainted with salmonella. This isn't their own fault -- the problem originated further up the chain, and was out of their control -- but some Co-op shoppers also shop at these places and might be lulled onto a false sense of security just because they're not lower-quality stores like the (also-tainted) Walmart, Target, and ShopRite.

Particularly, please check if you have any Wegmans chocolates or ice cream; or Trader Joe's celery & peanut butter snacks, granola bars, or cookies; or Whole Foods Carob Energee Nuggets. All of these products are on the recall list!

The Co-op staff has checked carefully and found that of the affected products (like Clif Bars) that the Co-op carries, the lot numbers we have in-stock are listed as non-affected. Repeat: The Co-op's food is clean.

We continue to monitor the situation carefully and will notify of any updates.
Morris Kafka

peanuts & nut butter notes

Post by Morris Kafka »

Just an aside; when I wanted a bit of peanut butter recently I simply took my safe and delicious co-op peanuts and put some of them in a small but powerful blender jar & had a delicious, thick and chunky butter in a minute. Further processing makes a smooth butter. This has a very good, intense, fresh flavor and aroma never found in a jar - a good comparison is to fresh ground coffee beans versus canned coffee. It is cost effective, quick and likely more nutritious than having to buy a whole container of nut butter especially if you only want a little at a time & want it really fresh.

Incidentally I believe that the act of baking or cooking at a high temperature will kill the salmonella virus ... thus eggs, nuts, etc. used in well heated meals should be safe if heated adequately. Does anyone know how hot & how long it takes to kill?

I am awaiting a cover of M C Hammer's hit "Can't touch this" done as an instructional video on how to avoid salmonella - pop culture might be a good tool to get the cleanliness & cross containation message across :)!
Rich Menashe

salmonella facts

Post by Rich Menashe »

Salmonella is a bacterium, not virus, which is one of the commonest causes of food poisoning worldwide. There are over 2,000 different types of salmonella, but with the exception of the few which cause typhoid or paratyphoid fever, the illness they cause is similar. Salmonella are widespread in cows, poultry, pigs, pets and wild animals.

Adequate cooking (The FDA has published guidelines[13] to help reduce the chance of food-borne salmonellosis. Food must be cooked to 68°C - 72°C (145°F - 160°F) and liquids like soups or gravies must be boiled. Freezing is not sufficient to kill salmonella)
should eradicate salmonella in food. However salmonella may be spread in a kitchen from contaminated to non-contaminated food if hygiene and catering practices are substandard. Food may also be contaminated by the hands of infected food handlers if they do not wash them properly after going to the toilet.

http://www.amm.co.uk/files/factsabout/fa_salm.htm