Leigh Davis (Prairie)

News and events stories related to Central NJ community.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Leigh Davis (Prairie)

Post by John Leary »

I have truly sad news for the Co-op community.

This afternoon at 2:45pm, Leigh Davis (known to many of us here as Prairie Fyre) passed away at Robert Wood Johnson's ICU. She had suffered a very bad fall last night, and her injuries proved to be insurmountable.

A service is planned in her memory, and I'll post back here with details as they become available.

Leigh was the kind of activist that most of us wish we could be. Never did she hesitate to call out an instance of abuse or hypocrisy from someone in power; never did she fail to organize herself and others to challenge those abuses and bring greater justice to our world. Her Facebook page alone is a testament to her tirelessness, a litany of outrage at those who would undermine our free and democratic society.

There was no free ride with Leigh — her friends knew they could count on her to be candid, whether or not the result was convenient for their own feelings. And yet she was compassionate beyond measure. We first met in a creative writing class, and when there were difficult emotional breakthroughs in class, the light of Leigh's kindness and gentleness was an inspiration to all of us.

I'd like to invite all those who knew and loved her to post here with recollections, poems, anything you'd like to offer in the memory of this lovely woman — whom I will miss dearly.

Prairie.jpg
Prairie.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

In Memory of Leigh Ann Davis

Post by John Leary »

A Facebook group has been started where people can pay tribute to Leigh's memory. Take part here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk= ... 5866447160