Anyone up for a Self Care Collective?

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
Nayla Caruso

Anyone up for a Self Care Collective?

Post by Nayla Caruso »

I'm looking to start a self care collective for those opting out of the medical industry and those who wish to supplement standard medical care. Said group would meet once a month for a general health workshop with additional monthly or every other month single sex workshops for differing health concerns. Initiatives on deck would include:

* Sick Care Cooperative; if you're sick or injured and in need of a little help from just company to an errand or two, someone will come. In return, you'll be available to assist someone else.
* Post Partum Care Cooperative; women working together to provide their fellow new mothers in-home support.
* Peer Patient Advocates; some simple training so that, should you need someone to advocate for you in an ER or other medical situation (such as birthing in a hospital), someone appropriate is available.
* Self Care Training; taking a page from 70s feminism, workshops to teach you how to stay out of the doctor's office by treating yourself, of special interest to the uninsured.
* Women's Health Focus; women helping women deal with their fertility, pregnancies, births, nursing, menopause, and everything else pretty much limited to women.

It's a huge scope, but there seems to be a powerful need in the NB community for this. I look forward to starting small.
Interested in urban homesteading, home cheesemaking, minimalist brewing, fermented and traditional foods, sprouting, and more? Join the Multi-Culture Club on the GSC forums!
Pandora Scooter

Sounds great.

Post by Pandora Scooter »

I'm interested! Particularly in being a part of a support group for new moms. This sounds like a great idea.
Power to the Peaceful and Love to All.
Rich Menashe

self care collective

Post by Rich Menashe »

being part of the "medical industry" I am willing to be a source of information reference and member -
sounds like fun-
good idea-
rich
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

This sounds great. I'm definitely interested.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

Having opted out of the medical/pharmaceutical/biotechnical industry as much as possible, I am most interested.

Does anyone know the original poster and if she(he) is still interested?

It has been almost a year since the original post.

ellenr
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

ellenr wrote:Does anyone know the original poster and if she(he) is still interested?

It has been almost a year since the original post.

Hi Ellen. I think you saw Nayla's registration date (December 2006) and mistook it for the post date (8 days ago). To be sure, Nayla is still very much active in the Co-op and on this messageboard!
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

Ah, you're right!
Good.
Thanks,
ellen
Chip Donnelly

alternative health care group

Post by Chip Donnelly »

Hey Nayla: I just noticed trolling around the Co-op's Message Boards that about two months ago you were floating the idea of an alt-health care group if it did or did not get off the ground I would sure be interested in hearing from you and Steve. -----Chip D. cdcable@gmail.com