Pumpkin Pie

Exchange recipes, discuss special diets, and learn more about creating mouthwateringly healthy delicacies.
Morris Kafka

Pumpkin Pie

Post by Morris Kafka »

as per request ... from the pot luck dinner. Adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. This is the recipe my parents served me growing up and seems to be the basic recipe used for most traditional custard type pumpkin pies.

I make my own crust but that is another recipe - you may use any 8" deep dish crust recipe or ready to bake crust you like.

Scrub pumpkin, halve, remove seeds & filaments. Bake open ends down 1 hour on high rim baking tray at 300 or until fork pierces it easily. Cool, scoop flesh from skin, then mash with a potato masher or smooth out in a blender. Seeds are great roasted; wash, place on slightly oiled tray with desired spices on top shelf while the pumpkin is cooking below. You can use canned pumpkin as well though the fresh tastes best. A small pumpkin should produce adequate amount Left over mashed pumpkin freezes well and is excellent for side dishes, soup, etc.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, set rack in center position.
1 cup sweetner (alas, sugar seems to work best, if you use a sweetner that is more concentrated, such as honey you will have to adjust the amount down)
1.5 cups pumpkin
1.5 teaspoons cinammon
.5 teaspoon ginger
.5 teaspoon cloves
.5 teaspoon salt
1 12 oz can evaporated milk or equivalent amount of soy beverage
.5 cup milk or additional .5 cup soy beverage
2 eggs, well beaten or equivalent amount of egg replacer

Mix all ingredients in large bowl (preferably with a pour spout). The batter will be very thin and prone to spilling when you fill the shell. Pull the oven rack out as far as it will safely go while still supporting the pie shell and place the pie shell in the middle of the rack. Put a very large cookie tray or piece of foil temporarily down on the oven floor/ door surface to catch any spillage and carefully fill the pie shell. Then carefully push the rack in and remove the tray or foil. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes to set then lower heat to 300 degrees and bake an additional 1 hour - or more - until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Place on cooling rack until room temperature and then refrigerate, preferrably overnight. Enjoy!