'Eating Animals' Book Will Change How You View Food

Anything you find on the Web that you'd like everyone to know about.
ellenr

'Eating Animals' Book Will Change How You View Food

Post by ellenr »

"[Jonathan Safran] Foer takes us alongside him as he bungles through undercover investigations and into the hidden world of today's industrial farming. We find out that turkeys have been so genetically modified they are not capable of sexual reproduction. We learn that the chickens on American's plates have been bred to grow so large so fast that their mere genetics destines them to suffering. We learn that "free range" means next to nothing and why it's fish and chicken you want to most avoid.

The book is a case against factory farming, but we don't hear only the bad news about animal agriculture. Foer also takes us to the most humane and sustainable animal farms in the nation. We get to hear a dizzying variety of voices: factory farmers, slaughterhouse workers, animal activists, a turkey farmer who apologizes to his animals, a vegetarian cattle rancher, and a vegan helping to build a slaughterhouse."

http://www.alternet.org/food/143692/jon ... about_food
Danielle Geist

Post by Danielle Geist »

I agree. This book was fantastic. I know I am buying copies to give to people this holiday season.

The part about chicken "broth" was disgusting but eye opening.