Food/Gardening Events in our community

News and events stories related to Central NJ community.
ellenr

Food/Gardening Events in our community

Post by ellenr »

Last night I enjoyed an evening at Elijah’s Promise Farm to Food Program, and it occurred to me that perhaps many co-opers do not know about this wonderful monthly event.

Elijah’s Promise is...More Than A Soup Kitchen

Since Elijah's Promise began in 1989, they have been helping low-income people in the central New Jersey community. From nutritious meals, to social services and health screening, to culinary arts job training and entrepreneurial training, to their own catering business, Elijah's Promise has been moving people from hunger to wholeness.

On the 3rd Tuesday of every month there is a food event. The August event was my first time, but not my last. It featured Latin fare by chefs from Mexico, Uruguay, Venezuela and other Latin countries. The emphasis is on seasonal and local fare. As we made the rounds from dish to dish, we were greeted by a smiling volunteer who described the dish. In front of each entrée is a flag of the country represented by that dish. My favorite was a mango sauce that had me going back for seconds. As I sat down with my friend to dig in, I found myself talking to people I knew as well as people I’d never seen before. Such a friendly atmosphere.

September's event is another not-to-be-missed occasion:
Progressive Garden Tour and Tasting:
Starting at Elijah's Promise, 211 Livingston Avenue, New Brunswick, we will visit local community gardens in New Brunswick. Sample dishes using garden fresh ingredients grown by neighbors from gardens at Unity Square - Sacred Heart Church, Oliver Street Community Garden and Elijah's Promise kitchen garden. Ummmm
September 21, 7 - 8:30 pm
~~~~~~~~~~

A new community garden is starting in the George and Neilson Street Neighborhood, called the Oliver St Community Garden. This community garden “serves to promote a sense of togetherness, healthy food resources and connection to the environment”.

It is sponsored by Elijah’s Promise, The City of New Brunswick, and the United Methodist Church of New Brunswick. Some of the food will be harvested for Elijah’s Promise Soup Kitchen, continuing the premise of the Food Security Movement, that low-income people also deserve fresh, healthy, local produce.

Join the Oliver Street Community Gardeners Thursday August 26 from 1 -3 PM for ice cream, cookies, and beverages, in a "Summertime Break" in the lobby of 317 George St, New Brunswick.

The gardeners also have a wish list:
Gardening gloves, hand tools, shears, monetary donations.

If you can help with donations, or would like more info, please contact Paul Helms at (732) 545-9002, ext 127, or paul@elijahspromise.net
~~~~~~
September 11, the Central Jersey Coalition Against Endless War [www.againstendlesswar.org ]presents its monthly coffeehouse, this month the topic is, "Community Gardening as Community Organizing".
Speakers are Lorena Gaibor, Program Coordinator of Unity Square Partnership (in NewBrunswick) and Paul Sauers, Suydam Street Garden Project. Music by Spook Handy.
The event is at The Reformed Church, 19-21 So. 2nd Ave., Highland Park, 8 pm. For more info please call Paul Sauers at 848-391-0394.
~~~~

On the subject of food, is it possible that anyone reading this is not familiar with The Better World Café in Highland Park?
Probably not, but in case you just moved to our area –

The Better World Cafe, a partnership between Elijah's Promise and Who Is My Neighbor? Inc., hopes to make healthy eating accessible and affordable for all. A Better World Cafe follows a community cafe model pioneered by Denise Cerreta of One World Everybody Eats in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The cafe uses seasonal foods - grown, cooked, and served in ways that make sense for the environment and for the customer's budget. The cafe reduces food waste, since customers choose their own portion sizes. It reduces trash because it does not use Styrofoam cups, plastic utensils, or paper plates. And it helps global neighbors because the coffees and teas are fairly traded.
The cafe is open Monday-Friday, from 11 am to 3 pm.
It is truly a unique concept, and has become a great meeting place for individuals as well as the various interest circles that exist in our area.
The best thing about it? Chefs Roy and Rachel and the volunteers. Chef Rachel in particular is always looking for ways to give to the community, and for ways to make connections with all these wonderful food and garden events going on.

http://www.betterworldcafe.org/
~~~~~~~~~~

So many wonderful healthy connections in our community!
So many opportunities to participate.

------ellen