Beautify the Co-op & our Reputation ... small rear garde

News and events stories related to Central NJ community.
Morris Kafka

Beautify the Co-op & our Reputation ... small rear garde

Post by Morris Kafka »

Flowers & help wanted for small flower bed for back of Co-op. Due to soil & parking lot water runoff issues this area is not suitable for edible crops. However, it is nicely situated to allow the addition of some compost and some low maintenance, non-invasive perennial flowers.

I'm willing to organize this so long as it stays simple & straightforward. If someone wants to make this a big project & can take it on I'll gladly turn it over, but for now this is a the concept & it requires no cash outlay and only some donated plants & a little time from people who recognize flowers & weeds at all stages of growth to keep it in check & watered.

If you have a home garden and can spare some plants you are dividing or you have a few minutes here or there to water, nurture and weed please contact Morris at m.kafka@verizon.net or 732-247-4966. This will bring some beauty to the parking lot and be a nice cheery accent for the Elks members and public as well as us. Many Thanks!
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Green thumbs up

Post by John Leary »

Once we get this up and running, it'll be a great refreshment to do my part tending the soil. I'm there a couple days per week. I'll probably need some training, but I can take direction. :)

I'm curious: To establish the initial garden, is that something where we'd get a bunch of people together and have a "garden-making party"?
Morris Kafka

rear garden

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi John!

We could have a "garden making party" if enough people could come together at one time. It is a small space so it is easy enough to just parcel out the jobs if desired :

1 or 2 folks to bring in compost or top soil and spread it around

then people with low maintenance, modest scale perennials can let us know what plants they have ( I have some to share) and we can decide where to plant any such offerings in an optimal way for esthetics.

After that showing people which plants we planted & maybe making a little map of the garden so that those who weed and water will know what we want to keep and grow.

Finally, it is essential to ensure that weeders/waterers are on the job routinely or the work will be for naught.
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Arbor Day?

Post by John Leary »

Could we go for a party? Please please please?

Arbor Day is Friday April 24. Could we have an Arbor Day event, planting a small tree with flowers around it?
Rich Menashe

garden party

Post by Rich Menashe »

maybe we could get ricky nelson?
we have discussed this for awhile-
what materials besides soil would we need?
a wood frame to make a raised bed?
2x10s?
6x6s?
rebar to secure to the ground?
spikes?
pressure treated lumber would probably preclude the use for food although i didnt think that parking lot strawberries or tomatoes were very attractive even for my sidewlk cafe palate.
what's next?
rich
Morris Kafka

"I went to the garden party ... "

Post by Morris Kafka »

(For you young folks that is a quote from Ricky Nelson's song).

John: An Arbor Day party would be lovely. I have to work on the 24th (a Friday) but of course the next day is Earth Day and that would be good for some folks.

Rich: The curbs already make for a raised bed there, no need for more structure. If someone wanted to grow food they would need a non-permeable membrane and then could build more of a raised bed and fill it with organic soil ... but someone would need to take that project on. If someone fresh wants to adopt this as their major project, fabulous. If not maintenance is my major project already and I want to just add a little something as simply as possible there.

Great Spring! Morris
Morris Kafka

Co-op garden border planting May 30th 1 PM

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi All!

We will be meeting on Saturday May 30th at 1 PM to plant various perennials in our rear border area. We will probably spend about an hour on this and perhaps we can have some refreshments afterwards. Please e-mail me if you would like to join in donating plants, helping to plant or water or helping with hospitality. We should be able to arrange for member hour credit for time spent on this - I will post updates.

Cheers! Morris m.kafka@verizon.net