on the meditation tip.... should we start a group

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
Jenn Smith

on the meditation tip.... should we start a group

Post by Jenn Smith »

i'm bouncing around the idea of starting a secular meditation group.

i'd like to know vaguely how many people would parttake if such a group existed.

here's the basic deal: meditation is best when done daily, even for short sittings. often people burn out on it, going whole hog right out of the gate, dedicating an hour or more a day, then a month or so later they're done with it. one thing i hear from a lot of people is that if some structure existed, they'd do it more. when they're home they can always think of something important that needs doing, and therefore they fall out of practice. but if they knew there was a meditation somewhere at a set time and place, they'd show up and do it more often. kinda like i am with exercise, i guess. i don't need a gym to exercise, exept without my membership, i just don't do it.

another thing i heard when part of a zen group, from the overwhelming majority of people who stopped, was that if they could just do the meditation, without the chants incense and hooha, they'd be all over that sh*t. but because there's so much crapola, they're turned off.

so anyway, i'm still just toying with the idea. basically, i'd just take what i do anyway, and invite people to do it with me, and therefore those people might find a rhythm for a more regular practice.

what i have in mind is:
1. completely secular. no religious expression whatsoever. you're free to say whatever prayers and chants you like to yourself, as long as you're silent and don't distract the other sitters. wear a mala, bring a rosary, use a mudra, whatever you do, just keep it to yourself. non negotiable.
2. daily, let's say 30 minutes per day.
3. silent.
4. completely free of instruction. there is no wrong way to meditate, so everyone is welcome to use chairs, cushions, lie down, etc. there will be no practice "leader."
5. free. like everything i do. not even a suggested donation.

one thing i haven't worked out is the location. having it in my home, as well as off site each has has their pros and cons. a meeting room in any house of worship is out of the question. considering that it has to be free, options become quite limited.

the idea here is to ensure that every day, at a certain time and place, a silent meditation happens. for this reason, it's not advisable to have changing locations, rotating people's houses, public park, busy libraries, etc. all of that would require coordination, organization, work. this needs to be easy. thoughtless. like brushing your teeth. i'm not wiling to make a job of this.

thoughts? pm me.

gassho*,
jenn

*this is a joke.
oops, forgot to edit that signature when i separated from the Board of Directors! Jenn Smith Mullen - NOT your Board Secretary. @hurricane_jenn
Jenn Smith

Re: on the meditation tip.... should we start a group

Post by Jenn Smith »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulne ... _reduction

this link is sort of informative, what i expect to happen at any group i get together.
oops, forgot to edit that signature when i separated from the Board of Directors! Jenn Smith Mullen - NOT your Board Secretary. @hurricane_jenn