Herb garden starting behind co-op - plant your favorite!

Discuss whatever's on your mind!
Morris Kafka

Herb garden starting behind co-op - plant your favorite!

Post by Morris Kafka »

Dear Members,

Hi! In an effort to beautify our store, make things nice for our neighbors and have something useful to us a little herb garden is starting in the border out back behind the store.

I spoke with Janet about this and she liked the idea. I have planted a grouping of mint plants (which are strong and perennial of course) with a large paint stick marking what they are placed behind them in the ground. By early in the spring they will be ready to start taking leaves from - if they survive.

The idea is that anyone who has perennial (plants that come back after a winter) herbs and would like to share some can plant them in this spot aliong with a marker so we know what they are and no one weeds them up. If you have any top soil or compost that is ready to share the soil there is thin and could use it too.

Just a few healthy plants, a bit of soil and water and the spot will bloom and grow into a lovely little green area that we can enjoy the benefits of ... what better way to say cooperation is green to all those who walk and park there and pass by on the street?

Cheers & eventually bon Appetite!

Morris
Rich Menashe

perrenials

Post by Rich Menashe »

great idea-
rich
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

great idea! I can't quite envision where that is, but I'll go by and look.
Hope it is in full sun.

Re the mint - haha, no worry about whether it will survive,
it will take over the plot if it is spearmint or peppermint. Perhaps other kinds of mint are not so invasive. I would plant it in a pot.

I have lots of herbs. I can contribute, but now is not the time to move them. In the Spring I will bring some.
I also - fortuitously - have some wonderful earth, full of organic amendments, and my very own compost - which I have been wondering what to do with.

I have a lot, so I'll look at the plot, to see how much you can use there.

ellen

ps- you know if people are interested in even a bigger herb garden, there may be plots available at the Sydam St community Garden, or the community garden where I garden in Piscataway. The latter, while not as close, is great for herbs, cuz it gets full sun all day.
Morris Kafka

herb notes

Post by Morris Kafka »

Thanks for the encouragement Ellen! Essentially it is a very narrow strip of earth in the back of the co-op that backs up to the Elk's lot. There is a high curb there but for the 20 years we've been in the store I only remember trash or weeds there. My idea was more for beautification of a hard, masonry area with nothign green- and perhaps some nice clipping herbs than for anything more elaborate though if people roll with it who knows? I know the mint takes over and I thought that would be a good thing since I don't anticipate much routine maintenance time available for this spot. Maybe I'm wrong and I will regret it if a number of people want to plant! By the way, I'm a founding supporter of the Suydam St. Garden.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

I guess I got a little carried away Morris. :)
You're right about the mint, and I'd rather see green than blacktop, so let's go with it.
Have you been to the New York Community gardens - there's one I remember with a small pond, and winding paths, and vines growing overhead, and I just had this vision of the Co-op in a surrounding like that!

wouldn't that be kool.
Nick Tufaro

Post by Nick Tufaro »

There is so little room at grade, perhaps a vertical approach can get you away from polluted runof from the parking area and concentrated vehicle fumes.
Have you thought about window boxes for the garden and an herbal green roof? The large window in the front could be a great spot for full sun 'greenhouse' shelves indoors.
It would really turn the Co op proper Green and possibly reduce HVAC expenses.

Much luck
Nick Tufaro
Morris Kafka

herb garden

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi Guys!

Can we just call this an ornamental herb border? We have a crappy little 18" wide by 30 foot long area behind a curb. I'm sure the soil is bad, probably even toxic. I only have a tiny bit of resources and time for this and just wanted to make it pretty. Anyone is free to come up with any concept they wish to and to present it to the board or mgmt. of the co-op. The challenge is if you have an idea but you don't have the time, energy and money to do it you will need to gather those resources or your idea will just sit on the shelf.

That is why my idea was "Hi ... just bring any nice extra herbs you have or any compost/soil and pitch in a bit." It is a start ... I don't want to be acused of thinking small but I'd rather actually do something small than just talk about big concepts.

I love the idea of window boxes and roof gardens though I know right now I can't volunteer for those projects.

Cheers! Morris
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

If the soil may be toxic, how 'bout a raised bed?
If someone can build some borders about 8-12 inches high, I have enough soil + compst to fill one bed, say 3 feet long by 18 ". I would put newspapers down below the soil.

Let me know. If not, I'll just bring the soil and add it to what's there.
Morris Kafka

herb borders

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi! The good news is the curbing is already about 8 inches or more higher than the existing soil so it is essentially ready to be filled as a raised bed. Morris
Madzi

Herb Garden

Post by Madzi »

We're not all that far from Cook...can't we simply have them test a soil sample?
Morris Kafka

adopt a garden & soil testing

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi!

Soil testing is important if people are going to eat the herbs that might get planted. If used for ornament or fragrance it isn't as big an issue. Putting down a barrier cloth and placing good compost or soil over it solves many issues and this is how the Suydam St. garden addressed poor soil.

There are many good ideas. This little orphaned strip of soil behind the co-op could use an adoptive parent, someone who would coordinate the various ideas and possible projects. Anyone up for taking that on? This could be simple and basic, or complex. I'm already committed to the facilities and maintenance committee and we are stretched thin.

The problem I've noticed with good ideas is that often times someone needs to ensure that they are moved on ... I'm not up for the task for this one. If you are let me know and we can take it from there.

Cheers! Morris
Rich Menashe

soil and green

Post by Rich Menashe »

i agree with morris-
it can be simple or complex-
simple would be ornamental and or if you use a small amout of toxic herbs i dont think you will die-
as far as the newspapers under the soil as a barrier -
i am under the impression that the current newsprint isnt something that you would want to leach into the soil to eat and or add to your organic joy-
does anyone have any info on that -
thanks-
rich
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Re: Herb Garden

Post by John Leary »

Madzi wrote:We're not all that far from Cook...can't we simply have them test a soil sample?

Madzi, would you be willing to coordinate that effort? If there's a cost involved, I'm sure we can get together some donations to pay for it (I'd happily donate), but we just need someone to do the actual coordination task. We've got tons of great volunteers, make no mistake, but they're already deep into various other projects.

The great thing is that if you start this project, you'll soon find other people wanting to take part. It's a great way to meet new people and do some good at the same time.

Oh, and you'll get hours credit for the volunteer work you do on this project. I believe Rich from Facilities would sign off on those hours, right Rich?
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

If Cook doesn't do it, I have a mail-in place which does it, including test for lead.

Rich, re the newsprint. I've been gardening organically for 8 years and my understanding is that newsprint is fine for an organic garden, just not the color pages.
Madzi

Herb Garden

Post by Madzi »

I'll ask at work if anyone knows how to go about getting the soil tested. My contact at Cook has since graduated and is now interning as a meterologist on Mt. Washington, so that's a bit out of his range!
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Post by John Leary »

Thanks Madzi. Please let us know what you find out.
Rich Menashe

facilities

Post by Rich Menashe »

sure any hours spent on the project could be ascribed to facitlities.
rich
ellenr

soil test

Post by ellenr »

Madzi,
the Middlesex County Extension Division - 732-398-5262 - can do a soil test.

Be sure to dig gown to get the soil sample, cuz I added some good dirt on top.

Morris,
seems like there is shale or some other impenetrable surface a few inches down?

I know NJ clay is hard, but this seemed like something else.

Anyway - my opinion - I wouldn't invest too much in the area if you want to grow herbs because there isn't enough sun for them to thrive.

e
Morris Kafka

basic herb - the base and the sun

Post by Morris Kafka »

Hi folks!

I think what is under the garden is masonry, probably this narrow bed was laid right on top of the parking area. I can't recall the co-op doing this but maybe it was done right when we opened, or by prior owners to create a place for planting. While the garden roughly faces north and does not always get sun being in the open parking lot it does get sun from the east and west sides earlier in the morning and in the afternoon ... choosing plants that do well with moderate sun should be fine if they have adequate soil and water. But Ellen is correct, the original concept wasn't to invest a great deal of resources into this but simply to use what people might have to donate as a way to perk up this area naturally. Getting a soil test will be informative and the resulting information and how or if we choose to address it could be an interesting article for the newsletter. Thanks for your participation!

Morris
John Leary
Hardcore Co-op Volunteer

Re: soil test

Post by John Leary »

Ellen wrote:Anyway - my opinion - I wouldn't invest too much in the area if you want to grow herbs because there isn't enough sun for them to thrive.

When I was growing up, my family always had mint growing on the north face of our house, in an area further shaded by trees and a doghouse. I don't know about other herbs, but I think the mint will thrive.